Monday, March 31, 2008

Red, White & Leeks


My affection for leeks has grown tremendously! I have never cooked a leek, but painting them is heaven. My inspiration for this painting came from a huge still life by Carol Marine in the Texas workshop. Of course she immediately sold it to one of the students. It was really the red and white check that inspired me against the green.This piece is very painterly and free to me, which is something I strive for but do not always achieve. I want to paint in a loose manor and sometimes I am just too tight. But when they flow it is so much fun. 8x16 oil on board. ©2008 $210.00

4 comments:

Pattie said...

The inspiration worked. This is a lovely one! Your leeks are yummy looking! The colors sing on the canvas. Well done.

Mark Bridges said...

Hey Nancy. I've been looking at those leeks in the store also. You did a good job on these. I was trying to upload images but it isn't working. So I'm waiting for the Tornado watch to end. :)

n. rhodes harper said...

Thanks Pattie and Mark!

Susan Carlin said...

This painting is TERRIFIC. Of course, I'm a sucker for checkerboard anything... but the combination of colors and the composition and the impressionist brushwork all come together and sing. Bravo!