Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Mike B.


This is a commission piece that a friend had me paint of her fiance. Working from a photo. I researched tattoo paintings and found some inspiration from an artist named Shawn Barber who paints portraits of tattoo artists. Over all I think she was very happy with the painting. It was a challenge, I treated it as a regular portrait, painting his torso and then layering the tattoo on top. My photo is a little blurry. This is a large piece on stretched canvas. 24x30 oil c 2008. NFS

7 comments:

Beverly Sams said...

Nancy, what a cool painting! I bet they were thrilled with it!

n. rhodes harper said...

Thanks Bev. I think they liked it. It was an interesting process!

Pattie Wall said...

Wow, you have been busy with big stuff! That must have been a trying task, to paint true to the tatoos! You had to paint what was there...like a map! I'm impressed!Happy New Year!

Justine's Daily Painting said...

Happy New Year Nancy!
I hope all is well. Great paintings! You are an inspiration.

I love seeing Karen Jurick since you turned me on to her. She has gotten some marvelous publicity.

Hope your Christmas was great. We are still doing the holiday thing over here.

Art with Liz said...

You've really nailed this one! I'm personally not mad about tattoos, but the detail is stunning.

Tracy said...

Thanks for the painting! Mike and I WERE thrilled with it! He was stunned and very humbled by your generousity. Thank you again!

n. rhodes harper said...

You are welcome Tracy!