Monday, December 8, 2008

Remember Us

When I was in high school I won a contest sponsored by the American Legion Auxiliary. It was called a poppy poster contest because the auxiliary sells little paper poppies to raise funds every year around memorial day for vets in their local communities. I painted a pair of boots very much like these, The title was Remember Us. I was presented with a beautiful silver charm bracelet with a poppy charm on it which I still have, 39 years later. When I saw the photo from Karin Jurick 's Different Strokes From Different Strokes Blog I decided to paint the boots as a memorial tribute to our troops to remind us of the sacrifices made and the sacrifices our young men and women are still making today. Take a moment to remember them. Please Support Our Troops. 9x12 oil on board c.2008 Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Wonderful piece and story. Where do I click?

n. rhodes harper said...

thanks Robin. Click on the title "Remember Us"

Art with Liz said...

Your boots look great. I too am trying them for the first time and will post soon. Even though I'm not American, I like the touch of the flag underneath.

n. rhodes harper said...

Thanks Liz, I can't wait to see yours. I like your native flag too!

Charlie Don't Surf said...

My favorite aunt so talented... and pretty too!

Edward Burton said...

Great painting, Nancy, and a wonderful idea to have a portion of the sale to be used for phone cards.

n. rhodes harper said...

thanks Edward! I hope it sells!

n. rhodes harper said...

Oh Charlie you are the best nephew and you can cook too! But can you bake? You have always been so charming sorry I scared you at Silver Dollar City all those years ago! lol auntie nan

dominique eichi said...

what a perfect picture for our troops. Very nicely done.

Pattie Wall said...

A great rendition of those boots, very well taken. Way to go Nanc!

n. rhodes harper said...

Hi Patti, Good to hear from you girl! Thank you for your kind comments. Merry Christmas.

n. rhodes harper said...

Hi Dominique, Thank you for your kind comments. I often feel helpless where our troops are concerned, I think about them every day.

Peggy Montano & Paintings said...

Wonderful painting.

Paula Villanova said...

A wonderful story and painting. This is a nice result for the DSFDF challenge.