Monday, August 16, 2010

One Dozen Please? by Nancy Rhodes Harper

Photo borrowed from AleCue http://www.flickr.com/photos/10066932@N03/2165586667/

This little painting tells the story of a woman shopping for a dozen ears of corn to prepare dinner for her family. She is buying the corn from a local vendor in her city. I enjoy fresh veggies purchased on the street and this piece reminds me of the opportunities we receive to grow or buy fresh vegetables form our own community. I hope you enjoy the vibrant colors and loose brushstrokes. I had such a great time painting this. 10x10 oil on linen mounted on birch. © 2010. Available for purchase at Renaissance Art Gallery.

14 comments:

Dot Courson said...

Cute painting .... also is a comment on the farmers and folks who provide fresh produce.
Jackie, my husband, was in Agriculture and worked with Miss State University 35 years - all his life... so we love this painting!

carol morgan carmichael said...

The color in this one just jumps out at you. Nice piece. Like the composition too.
I don't guess you are doing art on the square in Athens. Sept 12. I am and I wish you would stop by and see me if you are not doing it.

n. rhodes harper said...

Thanks Dot, I am so glad you told me about your husband, how cool. that is a long time. I bet he can give some great advice on gardens!

n. rhodes harper said...

Carol. I am going to come over and see you on the square in Athens, thanks for letting me know you will be there. I also thank you for your lovely comments!!

Frank Gardner said...

Looks like the guy that sells corn around the corner from my gallery.

Kathleen Weber said...

Very nice work!

n. rhodes harper said...

Thanks Frank, It might be that guy around the corner. Someone loaned me the photo to paint. Small world.

n. rhodes harper said...

Thanks So much for your kind comment Kathleen!

Ruth Andre said...

The color is gorgeous. This is a favorite.

n. rhodes harper said...

Thanks Ruth! I love vibrant color.

Nancy Clearwater Herman said...

I like the way you are able to put figures into the lanscape as if they really belong there. Not an easy task as the figure always seems to be so powerful it sticks out from its surroundings.

Pam Holnback said...

Love the color and light and story.

n. rhodes harper said...

Nancy, thanks for the wonderful compliments. I miss figures when there is a plain landscape. lol

n. rhodes harper said...

Pam, thanks so much. I love your work.