Friday, September 17, 2010

One Singular Sensation by Nancy Rhodes Harper

When I was a child it was my dream to be a Broadway dancer. Being from a very small town we did not have dance classes of any kind, so I got my dance education from variety shows on tv. The Jackie Gleason Show featured a group of dancers called The June Taylor Dancers every week and I would stand in fromt of the tv and dance with them. One September when I was around 6 years old the June Taylor Dancers came to perform at out county fair. At last I saw my chance to be discovered and on my way to Broadway. I stood in the dirt in front of the stage and danced uninvited with the June Taylor Dancers and I must admit I got quite a lot of applause for it too! Fast forward a few years and I decided to take ballet in college. Right, you guessed it, I had never taken ballet before and I was horrid. We had to dance in the theater production of The Music Man and I heard our teacher say "Oh my god that redhead is going to ruin the show!" Well that did it. I learned the routine made it through the musical and retired from dancing! 6x6 oil on panel ©2010 $110.00 + s/h contact Nancy Rhodes Harper if interested in purchasing. Thanks for looking!
No.15 in my Sept. painting marathon


14 comments:

Denise R said...

Great story! It's funny sometimes the dreams we had as kids and the lengths we went to get there! Great painting too! Love the contrast of her outfit and the background. Really stunning!

Dana Cooper said...

Lovely handling of her skin in this Nancy...I loved your story too!

Linda Popple said...

Love this! Love your story, too! You may not be able to dance, but you sure can paint!! :-)

Bev Boren said...

Great painting! Great story! Really enjoying your work

n. rhodes harper said...

Thanks Denise, I have tried to complete all of my dreams I had as a child and I think I have pretty well done all of them.

n. rhodes harper said...

Thanks Dana, I have a lot of those stories! lol

n. rhodes harper said...

Thanks Linda! Now if I could only be the dancing painter!

n. rhodes harper said...

Bev, you are so kind. Thanks so much.

carol morgan carmichael said...

Love the painting Nancy. Your story is cracking me up. I can SO relate.
Great Nashville painting too. Great mood!

Ruth Andre said...

Nancy, I love your story and your dream and the painting. You have given this painting a lot of spark. Lovely.

n. rhodes harper said...

Thank you all for your kind words.You keep me going every day!

Becky said...

You never told me that you and i had the same aspirations!!! just that we both aspired to be on the facts of life...

Emma said...

Im doing an art exam and needed an artist to use for my support studies section.Your painting inspired that part of my project,broadway.Just wanted to thank you for making my project complete ;) Gorgeous painting!

Emma said...

Im doing an art exam and desperatly needed an artist to use for my support studies.Thank God i found your work,it inspired me so much,the whole Broadway theme. just wanted to thank you for making my project compete.Gorgeous painting!