Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Barbie Doll by Nancy Rhodes Harper

My painting is a painting of the Barbie Doll that I once had, not from life but as I remember her. I gave Barbie away to another little girl to enjoy many years ago. I remember my summers with Nancy Ward. We were Barbie fiends. We took them everywhere. At the swimming pool they would lay out on washcloths for towels, they rode around in comfort right in our bicycle baskets. We used to design and make all of their clothes. Nancy and I would go to the local mercantile to buy fabric. They sold us a strip of fabric about 6 inches deep and 36 inches wide for 5 cents! My dad took me to the store before school started one day to buy Barbie so I would be able to take her to school with me. I will always love you Barbie and I miss you too!

6 comments:

Kathy Cousart said...

What a fun painting just full of memories for all of us. Great idea for the holidays....universally appealing and gotta smile:)
Like the new blog look- jazy!

n. rhodes harper said...

thanks Kathy! When the weather gets bad it is hard for me to come up with ideas, I am terrible at setting up still lifes, the same way I am not a photographer. The girl that I gave my doll to still has her!

EILEEN D. MCCOY said...

Nancy, what a clever painting! I agree with what Kathy Cousart said about its universal appeal. Very nice. Eileen

Virginia Floyd said...

Love your Barbie and your story about her! My daughter loved her Barbie and played with it forever. She made furniture and clothes. She grew up to be an artist, too.

n. rhodes harper said...

Eileen, I sometimes think about dresses I had as a child or toys that I played with. I think Barbie was the toy that I loved the most and so many can relate to for a huge span of years. thanks for visiting!

n. rhodes harper said...

Thanks Virginia, Some things in life one can relate to through the ages and the whole earth really and one of those is Barbie. It is fun to have memories of her and the time I spent making clothes and enjoying that time. Exciting to know you have an artist daughter and I bet her mom had alot to do with that! Thanks for stopping by!